Friday, September 4, 2015

Romeo + Juliet

However cliche it may be for this movie to have influenced me, being a theater person, it's really had a lasting impact on my mind. This may just be due to my love for Leonardo DiCaprio, but something about the combination of vibrant colors, grimy clothing and locations, and the use of Shakespearian language contrasting with a modern soundtrack and setting has changed my outlook on filmmaking.

Ever since 5th grade, when I first watched this film, it stuck with me. My mind always trails back to the scene where Romeo is wandering around the beach at dawn alone, while the song "Talk Show Host" by Radiohead plays. Something about that peaceful scene, paired with a slow, C-minor key song gets me every time. Another moment that fascinates me to no end is the Capulet's party scene near the beginning of the film. The elaborate costumes, loud music, choreography, and strangely creative shots create a beautifully overwhelming experience for the audience. And, of course, Mercutio dresses in drag that night, which earns bonus points from me.

The expression of fast-paced life, loud color, and resonating sound, as well as the juxtaposition of old and new, has had a lasting impact on my view of filmmaking and my train of thought when it comes to creating concepts for possible films of my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment